The season of Lent is not only a Christian time of personal sacrifice, but it is now observed by many Americans as a time to “give up” something to make the world a better place.
Lent is a perfect time to give up something for the next 40 days that contributes to global warming.
You can take action in simple ways, like replacing incandescent light bulbs in your home with compact florescent light bulbs (CFLs). CFL bulbs use only a fraction of the energy used by incandescent bulbs and significantly reduce our carbon emissions.
- Commit to driving your car one day less a week and choose instead to walk,
- Ride your bike, or take public transportation,
- During the cold winter season, turn down your thermostat by two degrees,
- Buy produce that is locally grown,
- Ask your church to purchase energy from a renewable energy source,
- Install energy efficient appliances in your house or church with the EPA Energy Star label.
Tell us how you are going to work to “reduce.”